Thursday, October 2, 2008

Our Sonic Adventure

Before I begin, let me offer my best attempt at a disclaimer for the following entry. I tried my best to be a healthy mom. My sister set the bar high when Kaity Beth was born almost 12 years ago. At Kaity's first birthday, Angela made her a cake with no sugar. I thought it was admirable and I tried to follow the example for my first born. When Claire moved to solids, I pureed the vegetables and the fruits. It was easy and cheap, so I sacrificed the time. However, Claire much preferred the Gerber purees over her Momma's home-made ones. And for months, stacks of my purees sat in the freezer as she gobbled down Gerber. I didn't take offense, I just stopped puree-ing.

Fast forward to the season after purees. Bill and I have followed the laid-back approach to her eating. She naturally gravitated to things that were good to her. She loves any fruit, she eats most vegetables, the only meat she will eat is pork chops (I have no idea why), and drinks and eats so much dairy that I am surprised she's not moo-ing. We let her have treats every now and then...not over-indulgent with sweets, but she does partake in them with us. She's within her range on weight and her clothes fit. She's active and I think she's healthy.

Okay, so after the disclaimer and history...our favorite stop in the afternoons is Sonic. Not every afternoon, maybe once every two weeks we stop for a slush. I have been traveling the past two weeks, so I know it has been atleast 3-4 weeks since we have been there (and even when I was traveling, I know Bill didn't take her because he told me that he had planned to one afternoon and she threw such a fit in the truck that she lost her Sonic privileges!).

So, on our way home from Becca's, no intention or desire to stop at Sonic, I heard the sweetest voice in the backseat saying, "Syush, Syush."

"Claire, would you like a slush"

"Yea", in Claire's affirmative whisper.

"Do you want a grape slush"

"Noooooo!", in Claire's whiny, sing-songy voice.

"Do you want an apple juice slush."

"Yea!", again in her whispery affirmative voice.

I laughed out loud as I pulled the vehicle in Sonic and she laughed with joy. She has me wrapped around her finger!

So mommy ordered a kids' sized apple juice slush and a regular sized banana split shake (for herself). When the little carhop came, you would have thought she was Claire's favorite person. She clapped, she squeeled!

So, Claire took a few sips of her slush and noticed I was drinking something. She sat her slush in the cupholder and grunted for mine. I handed it back to her and as she tasted the banana shake, she giggled and "Mmmm"ed to her hearts delight....and handed me her slush!

The banana shake was now hers and I was stuck with the apple juice slush. She did share MY shake with me.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

She does and always will have you wrapped around her fingers. The joys of motherhood! Sounds like Claire has graduated to adult Syushes. No turning back!

Anonymous said...

We love "happy hour" at Sonic. In fact, I met Mollie and Morgan there after school on Friday. I miss picking them up from school and listening to the chatter from the day. They let me join them occasionally for an afternoon snack. Congratulations on the sale of your home! Can't wait to see pictures of your new one.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'd figure it out, but the anonymous comment was mine. For whatever reason, it didn't print my name. I'm sure it's me and my lack of technology skills.

Amy Griffin said...

Love the slushes...my kids are also a fan but if they see me with a shake it is the same result!