Sunday, July 20, 2008

We're on a First Name Basis Now!

Last week was our church's VBS. We have VBS in the evening. So, the Cato House was running crazy. I would rush home from work, pick Claire up at Becca's, run by the new house to see Bill and the progress for just a second, run home, give Claire a bath and feed her supper in 30 minutes and out the door to VBS. Claire and I would get home around 8:30 and Bill would be close behind coming home from the house. By the end of the week, all three of us were exhausted.

However, we had a few comic reliefs in the midst of a crazy week. On Thursday night, last night of VBS, I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off and Claire was just trying to keep up with me as she trailed on my heels. I heard her a few times yell, "Daddy"! Daddy wasn't home so I just ignored her. Then I noticed her yelling "Beal, Beal, Beal." I whirled around and noticed she was standing at the back door where Daddy (Bill) usually comes home through. She looked at me and said it again, "Beal". I DIED laughing and that just spurred her on more. Oh, her Daddy wouldn't find it funny, but at the moment, I was rolling.

Fast forward. Friday night, we take a family trip to Lowe's to pick out hard-wood stain color and countertop (side note...we are in a quandary about whether to use solid surface or laminate...I just can't justify the cost of granite and who in the world decided that granite in a house would receive such a return on investment...feel free to vote on what "surface" we should go with). Back to Lowe's. We had 10 minutes to check out with our light bulbs and Miracle Grow, (because as noted in an earlier blog, I did, indeed let the flowers die. I'm hoping to revive them with Miracle Grow. I'm blaming the two weeks that I didn't water the flowers on one week of VBS!). I generously decided that both Bill and I could buy a magazine of our choice (because I'm the family Chief Financial Officer and he's the Chief Operations Officer). I hurried to the lawn and garden magazines (!!!) and he was looking at wood-working. I heard him yelling my name, but I didn't have time to pay him any attention...I only had 10 minutes to find the resource to revive my flowers. And then I heard his boisterous laugh. I whirled around and heard Claire yelling at the top of her lungs, "Aumy, Aumy, Aumy!" Oh no, back at you Mommy. Claire was on a first name basis with me too!!! I did laugh, but didn't find it as funny as her calling her Daddy "Beal"!

2 comments:

Amy Griffin said...

That is cute! My kids will do that too...It's always funnier when it is "Jonathan" and not "Amy" although Jude now prefers to call me "Amy"! On the side note, I would go with granite - sorry, not what your wallet wanted to hear! With all the HGTV I watch it is a great return on your investment. We are getting ready to replace ours with granite. We have some friends that flip houses and they know someone that is pretty reasonable. I had his name and lost it but if you are interested I can get it to you. He does work everywhere in Nasvhille area.

Leslie said...

Love it!!! Such a fun age. Aren't VBS weeks crazy? Sunday a group out of Nashville, Evidence, sang at our church. One of the guys said that he also works for Lifeway in the music dept. Didn't know if would recognize the name, Tim (don't know last name). They were wonderful! I would have to vote for granite also. I had a difficult time deciding as well. Went with granite and haven't been sorry! Take care.
Leslie