Friday, February 20, 2009

WARNING: Disposable Diapers Not to Be Washed

I made a huge mess last night. A mess that, now that I've done it once, I can't believe hasn't happened sooner and I still don't know how it happened. I will, naturally, blame it on Bill!

After spending most of the evening with Carrie, catching up on life, I came home at 9:30 and immediately started in on the household chores that I had neglected since Sunday (due to my growing addiction to 2009 TV programming...it started innocently with LOST on Wednesdays, then I got addicted to The Biggest Loser on Tuesday and just 2 weeks ago, I added The Bachelor on Monday).

The Catos are heading to Kentucky this weekend and since I've promised to bring Jim-n-Nick's BBQ for supper, we need to hit the road by 5:00 pm. Easy task...nope! Because I have to get home from work with a 2 year old and get the vehicle packed before Bill gets home because I don't like how he packs luggage!!! So, in order to meet my self-imposed deadline, it was a requirement that the bags be packed and sitting at the door on Friday morning. But before packing, (return to paragraph 2) I had to catch up on neglected laundry, housework, etc. So, at 9:30, I dove into the laundry. We keep the laundry sorted pretty well with all my different hampers, so I didn't even go through the clothes. No time for stain checks, I dumped the hamper with all of Claire's clothes in the washer with one motion, slammed the lid down and off to the next chore.

10:30 pm...laundry check...I head into the laundry room to switch Claire's clothes to the dryer and throw the next load in. As I was unloading her clothes, these granules kept falling out. As most of you know, I have dealt with allergies my entire life, so it's not uncommon to find a washed kleenex in the laundry. That was where my mind first went. Nope, not tissue. Then, horrified, I thought, "Oh no, one of my push up bras has exploded and this is what that gel is made of"...but no bra in Claire's laundry.

As I kept investigating, in the very bottom of the washer, there lay the culprit. A completely water logged disposable diaper exploded!

I may be the only one that has ever washed a disposable diaper and had it explode, but in case I'm not alone, you can picture it. Thousands of granules all over Claire's clothes, in the washer, on the floor...EVERYWHERE! And those things are stubborn. I got the vacuum out and they don't like to move. Oh it was a mess.

It was 11:30 before I got it cleaned up and I went to tell my sleeping husband about my fiasco. As you can imagine, he didn't really care!!! Which further caused me to blame him for the diaper being in the laundry in the first place!

No comments: