Thursday, December 18, 2008

"Bloom where your're planted..."

Has always been a favorite quote of mine. I'm not sure if it's my personality or if it's just a generational thing, but I am absolutely horrible about staying in touch. I bloom where I'm planted, I invest my life and energy into the people closest to me and often make the horrible mistake and regret of neglecting those from my past. I don't have a horrible past, so I don't think it is some deep-rooted emotional issue that I'm trying to run from. I'm not sure what causes it, but I don't like it.

I know there are pros and cons about the internet and social networks. My sister and I have these discussions often. But I am personally thankful for them and the outlet they offer me to stay in touch with childhood, high school, college, camp and current friends.

All of that is a preface to say, I want to teach Claire to set her roots deep wherever she goes. Last night, my mom called me and the father in one of our dear family friends passed away. Jen, his daughter, and I grew up together. As I drove home after her telling me, I thought about this family being one of my earliest memories of planting my roots. Memories of the adults playing cards or just coming to hang out and the kids playing Atari or just messing around. On those late summer nights growing up, I was usually somewhere in between their house and our house. Jen and I had a tradition, up until she married and began her family of calling each other on Christmas morning to tell each other what we had gotten. Softball games, football games, snow ball fights, church, girl scouts, school from K-12, weddings...and now a funeral.

I want Claire to have those bittersweet, deep-rooted memories of families she grew up with. I want her to fly, but I also want her to be well-rooted. So, today, I challenge you to set your roots deep and don't neglect those things of your past!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Amy! That is one of the sweetest things I've read in a while. Of course, tears are running down my face! Thanks for those memories and know that my dad thought the WORLD of you! Love you!

Amy Griffin said...

That was so sweet Amy, I had tears as I read too.