Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What do you do with a 22 month old who...

thinks the world revolves around her, throws herself to the ground and thrashes around when she realizes for a split second it doesn't, figures out that "I sorry" gets you out of time out long enough to throw herself back on the floor and into another tantrum.

What do you do with a mommy who blames it all on her choice to go back to work, but thinks she would be completely bald if she ever decided to come home and hands her child off to Daddy as soon as he walks in the door even though Mommy's only been home for 15 minutes?

What do you do when the same child that made you want to pull your head bald turns and gives you a big, wet open-mouth kiss for no particular reason, who struts around in her Mommy's size 10 dress shoes that she kicked off at the door and turns around and says, "Mommy" in the most endearing voice?

This is more therapy for me than really wanting answers. I don't think there really is answers. It's just life. And as I was putting her in time-out for the 2 time in 15 minutes and said that prayer, "Lord, get me through this phase and I know it's downhill from here", I really know that this is the sweetest and the easiest time of our lives.

So, tonight, I will lay her down in her crib and pray for her that God will turn her heart toward Him and I will pray for myself that He will give me the wisdom and the patience not to break her little spirit and let him mold her into the little personality He designed.

As my mom said this weekend, "You wouldn't give anything for her, but you wouldn't pay a nickel for another one like her!" - here we go back to time-out because she hit her Daddy this time!

5 comments:

Amy Griffin said...

I hear everything you are saying. Let me say as #3 is a week away that they do get big so fast and you are going to wonder what happened to the tantrum throwing 2 year old as she is heading off to school - believe me, I did it this morning! My favorite saying at this point in my life is "the days are LONG but the years are so short". Good luck and pray without ceasing! (it helps me)

Dianne said...

Sounds so very familiar. My son and daughter-in-law have very similar struggles. I pray for them daily as I know that this season will pass and another will come and we all need grace for every season. Amazing grace - how sweet the sound!

I echo Amy - pray without ceasing! I will pray for you too, my friend.

Love you!
Dianne

Anonymous said...

I so remember those days and yes they are long! But those "sweet" moments make it all worthwhile. Prayer definitely carried me through. I love hearing your experiences-I miss that age if you can believe it.

Anonymous said...

This too shall pass and believe it or not , you wll long for these again - HONESTLY you will !!!!!! Treasure every moment and tantrum as you are reminded of how very blessed we ALL are to have healthy children that can hit daddy and sassy-mouth mommy !!!!!!!!! Just wait sista until the hormones start kickin in !!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEW !!!!!!!!!!!!!! These times are also a blessing and fun to "tackle" with the strength of the Lord !!!! I love you so very much and am blessed to call you family ! Those Cato brothers are a handful at times but I am glad they are "ours" !!!!!!! Looking forward to seeing you soon - Love to all !!!! Patti ;)

jolie said...

Stumbled upon your blog via Laura's. Sounds so familiar! Eli is 26-months-old and can really throw some fits! And it is frustrating. A couple books that help me (and that I really need to reread) are Shepherding A Child's Heart by Ted Tripp and Don't Make Me Count To Three by Ginger Plowman. It sounds like you are working hard and we have to trust that God will use this for their good! The latter mentioned book says to even be thankful for the times of correction so that you can point your child to her need for the gracious and forgiving heavenly Father. Wow! They say that one day we will laugh about this, but that day must be really far off!