Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

For those of you that read our blog and have never met Bill, I married a cowboy at heart. I say "at heart" because it's been a long time since he's been a real cowboy! But he was, once upon a time, a cowboy...ropin' and wrestlin' steers, bare-bronc ridin' cowboy!!! That's one thing that first caught my attention about him (and of course his heart that is as big as the Montana skies). Although he's many years removed from rodeo-ing, it is both of our desire to introduce Claire to it. I know nothing about being an equestrian, but that's why it intrigues me. I've been on a horse once before today!

Today, we celebrated Father's Day at our dear friends, The Morrison's. Rick and "Su-Su" were an intregal part of Bill's life before I entered the picture. Once I entered the picture, I realized you don't find many people better than them. True and honest to the core...and a barrel of fun, too! Rick and Susan have two horses - Burt and Rudy. After we ate lunch today, we went outside to play with the horses.

What a blast we had! Claire and I were definitely over-dressed. Her in her red smocked bubble suit with her church sandals and me in my Ann Taylor top, city shorts and high-heels. We would definitely stick out like a sore thumb in the game "Which of These Doesn't Belong." But we did our best to play the role and guess who was the first to jump on the horse? You got it...ME!


Bill took Claire into the house to change her diaper before her big riding debut and when Susan asked me if I wanted to ride, I took the opportunity to impress my husband! I kicked off the heels and into the saddle I went. I thought I did pretty good job hoisting myself over. I asked for a ladder or a step stool, but they convinced me I could get up there without it and I did! Susan led me into the riding pen and gave me a beginner's lesson in leading a horse. And off I went. And again, I thought I did pretty well for only the second time on a horse. We walked in circles, we changed directions and we even got up to a trot!



As Bill and Claire made their way out to the pen, I could hear Claire cackling! Would she get on with one of us or would she be scared?

I let Bill take a turn and he was able to get Claire up there with him. She wanted to be held...no sitting in the saddle for her!



In the video below, if you listen carefully, you can hear the occasional nervous cackle by her. I'm still not sure if she enjoyed her ride, but both of us are just beginning this sport.



After Bill and Claire finished their turn, Molly, Rick and Susan's daughter that REALLY rides horses took her turn. Claire kicked off her shoes and wanted to run around in the sand in the riding pen. I did get the bubble suit stripped off of her before she started rubbing sand all over her and tossing it over her head. We had a really fun day and I'm sure we will do it again. By the time we were leaving, our girl was pooped out!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This warms my heart so much! I'd like to think you wrote this one just for me.

Amy Griffin said...

so fun! I love a day with so much fun that their heads hang in their car seats.

Laura said...

Amy, I think you're looking pretty good on that horse! You just need a little practice and you'll be a real cowgirl yourself.

Christine Satterfield said...

Adorable! What a fun Father's Day.