Monday, November 5, 2012

Claire's 6th Birthday Party!

When I worked full-time outside of the home, I had a guilt-driven habit of planning BIG birthday parties for Claire to make myself feel better. It was only our immediate family and 1-2 of our, her parents, closest friends. Lucky for her, her parent's best friends also had two children that were her best friends.

The party was for me. To make me feel better. She could have cared less about the hours on end that I spent in the kitchen late at night after working all day to test out and make the perfect cupcake and icing She could have cared less about the perfectly themed table decor. She could have cared less about a theme at all. But I cared. I wanted her to look back at pictures of her early birthdays and recount that her mommy went to great lengths to plan a perfect day for her.

Now that I am at home full-time with her and Adleigh, I assumed the guilt-driven habit of planning BIG birthday parties would end. I tried. I really did. I stated several times that there was no theme this year. Her birthday invitation to immediate family and 1-2 of her parent's closest friends was generic with a picture of her on it.

And then, one day, I couldn't stand it any longer. I was paralyzed. I had to have a theme.

I asked her what she wanted the theme to be. She said "40's sailor girl." (She has always associated her Halloween costume with her birthday theme which are NOT the same, I argue with her. They are very separate, within the same week, BIG occasions. The annual Halloween party is another party that I need therapy for). She said she wanted a princess cake from Publix. I said, "You don't want Mommy's home-made cupcakes with buttercream icing that I have perfected for YOU?" She said again that she wanted a princess cake from Publix. "Would you like both?" And off she ran with a shrug of her shoulders.

She didn't care, but I did. I had to have a theme. But I was a blank slate. I only had 2 weeks and no ideas. I resorted to polling my Facebook friends. And the theme surfaced...an artist party! I am not original.  All of my ideas were borrowed from the web and party blogs. I used primary colors like an artist's palette. I made flower pom-poms and hung from our ceiling. I baked cupcakes and baked cupcakes and baked more cupcakes...I believe I baked 48 regular size cupcakes, 25 mini-cupcakes and a large artist palette cake. Way too much butter, sugar, flour and powdered sugar than one family needs to have. My best friend baked her famous sugar cookies for the occasion in the shape of an artist palette. The cake was the most challenging since I am definitely an amateur. But for an amateur, I was proud of it in the end.

Here are pictures from the big day!








At the end of the day, Claire had a great time. I think she still could care less about a theme, so I will try my best to do what she wants next year...go to Publix. And at the end of the day, her mommy (and grandmother) were exhausted. Not only can I not say no to a "themed party", I can't say no to "fall cleaning" my house prior to her party, including washing windows. I have no idea why I do this. Like I said, it was only family, who has seen my house for better or worse.

Adleigh's first birthday is only 1.5 months away. I told Bill that I can't continue to do this. However, how can I NOT do it for her first birthday...and then I'll stop!!!!!!

No comments: