Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Winter Cleaning: Making it Competitive, thus Fun!

While I am on vacation, I'm doing a little spring cleaning in winter! I've cleaned the windows that are in plain view (meaning, I didn't clean the ones that are at the back of the house in our bedroom). Now, I'm working on our master closet. It continually amazed me that despite buying less clothes each year (most of my clothes budget goes towards keeping Sister dressed and stylish), my closet still looks like we accumulate hundreds of clothes each year.

I started this little game with Bill when we first got married to get him involved with cleaning and organizing. We individually go through the closet and pull out clothes we don't want. The catch is whoever gets rid of the most pieces gets a monetary prize to buy another clothing item. Bill goes in first and doesn't tell me how many he's pulled out. I go in and purge all the clothes that I know longer wear. Why this game works is that there is a little competition and we aren't hanging on to those "well maybe I'll actually wear this 1980's blouse next year" clothes. Every piece of clothing can be the difference between winning and losing.

I am the champion 4 years running!!! And it looks like I'm going to win it again in 2009! I've already got my eye on what I'm going to purchase with the prize money!!!

1 comment:

Christine Satterfield said...

I'm a competitor...but I don't think I would ever compete with Mark to get rid of clothes. I'm a PACK RAT. I mean...I might wear it one day :-)

But, good for you. Glad you won!!